Melharmony OVK Bach Festival 2019
A celebration of their creations
The OVK-Bach Melharmony Festival aims to raise awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the musical styles of two brilliant classical composers
– Oottukkadu Venkata Kavi (OVK) (1700 -1765)who enriched the world of melody, and Bach (1685 -1750) who enriched the world of harmony.
The festival offers perspectives of developments of melody and harmony in this period via Melharmony. Melharmony (www.melharmonymusic.com) is an award-winning concept proposed by musician-composer Chitravina N Ravikiran that creates “harmony but with an emphasis on melodic rules.”
Chitravina N Ravikiran, hailed from age two as the “Mozart of India” (Wisconsin State Journal) and renowned globally for his “Teasing precision & dazzling effects” (New York Times) needs no introduction to music lovers across the world. In addition to being one of the most decorated aristes both as a performer and Guru, Ravikiran is also one of the most prolific composers from India with over 800 compositions to his credit.
He is also acclaimed for pioneering innovations including the unique concept of Melharmony in world music (www.melharmonymusic.com) and collaboration with international super-stars of Western Classical, Jazz, Rock, Chinese, Brazilian and diverse other systems.
Highlights of the Melharmony Festival
❃ Provides an opportunity to develop unique insights into the greatest composers of Indian Classical and Western Classical music.
❃ The two day festival will feature several popular and unique dazzling creations of both OVK and Bach performed by globally acclaimed musicians and students participating from various cities of North America.
❃ The Melharmony Festival is the grandest multi-cultural festival in the Midwest.
❃ Visit www.melharmonymusic.com for more information on past festivals conducted since 2013.
International Competition featuring OVK & Bach
OVK Competition Rules
Fee: $ 35 per participant
Levels: Junior & Senior
- Open to Vocalists/Instrumentalists
- Senior level includes any participant who has the experience of having performed mini concerts of 45 minutes . All other participants will be categorised as juniors
- For participating in the preliminary level of the OVK competition, participants are required to learn any 2 compositions of Oottukkadu Venkata Kavi from the list available in Acharyanet , record & share their rendition of any one composition as a Youtube video link before October 1st 2019. The other composition will be required to be presented in the finals, if qualified.
- A panel of judges will evaluate the performances and choose the top ranking finalists from North America who will be invited to perform in the Mega Finals at the Melharmony festival in Madison. Top ranking finalists who are not residents of North America will be selected to participate in the finals of the online competition. The Mega Finals for the live and the online competitions will be held on November 9th, 2019 and attractive cash prizes/coupons will be awarded to the top 3 winners of both the live and online competitions. Please note that the online and live competitions will be judged and awarded separately.
- Participants will be judged on the basis of pathaantaram (style), raga grammar, tone, shruti, layam, lyrical accuracy & enunciation
Bach Competition Rules
Fee: $ 25 per participant
Levels: Junior & Senior
❈ Open to Vocalists/Instrumentalists
- Senior level includes any participant who is a member of a school/community/youth orchestra
- All other participants will be categorised as junior
- For participating in the preliminary level of this competition, all participants are required to record & share the videos of their rendition as Youtube links before October 1st 2019
- A panel of judges will evaluate the performances and choose the top ranking finalists from North America who will be invited to perform in the Mega Finals at the Melharmony festival in Madison. Top ranking finalists who are not residents of North America will be selected to participate in the finals of the online competition. The Mega Finals for the live and the online competitions will be held on November 9th, 2019 and attractive cash prizes/coupons will be awarded to the top 3 winners of both the live and online competitions. Please note that the online and live competitions will be judged and awarded
- Participants will be judged on the basis of memory, accuracy, rhythm, technique and musicianship
OVK Saptaratna Goshti Ganam
This Vocal-Instrumental Orchestral ensemble aims to showcase the brilliance and eloquence of the composer Oottukkadu Venkata Kavi (OVK). OVK’s Saptaratnas are similar in structure to Tyagaraja’s Pancharatnas and Shyama Shastri’s Ratna Trayam Swarajatis. They have a pallavi, anupallavi and multiple madhyamakala charanams with svara-sahityams. These are some of the unparalleled creations among the group krtis in Carnatic music today.
This group rendition will take place in the OVK-Bach Melharmony festival on Nov 9/10 2019, in Middleton WI, and in the Cleveland Tyagaraja Festival 2020 (Date TBA).
❈ Open to all participants who have registered for the melharmony festival with the entry fee of $ 25 and have learned the Saptaratnas (as taught in Acharyanet.com).
❈ Those who want to avail the opportunity of formally learning it from Gurus Bhargavi Balasubramanian, Vanitha Suresh & V K Arun Kumar can register for the learning and training sessions.
❈ Registration Fees for training sessions for Saptaratna Goshti @ Melharmony Festival – $ 150 & $ 250 for the Melharmony Festival & Cleveland Festival included.
❈ Participants who have registered for training will receive email instructions regarding the learning process & training sessions.
Featured Main Slots (45 mins)
- Accompanying/accompanied by eminent musicians
- Open by invitation/audition
- Registration Fee : $ 350 (includes honoraria for artistes)
- One OVK composition learned from the list available on Acharyanet will have to be compulsorily included in the concert.
Featured Mini Slots (25 mins)
Accompanying/accompanied by rising musicians
- Open by invitation/audition
- A fee of $50 per participant in the team
- One OVK composition will have to be compulsorily included in the concert.
Individual Slots (6 mins)
- Bring your own accompaniment
- Open to all
- Only OVK/Bach
- Registration fee of $25 for Individual/ OVK Saptartana Goshti Ganam participation.
- Not open to featured performers
- Limited registrations