Carnatic 101 - Beginner Course
Carnatic Preliminary 101 – Voice Culture, Sarali and Jantai Varisais
This is the entry level course for Carnatic Music beginners who don’t have prior experience in learning music. The course will cover voice culture exercises, fundamentals of music theory, sarali varishais and jantai varishai.
8 weeks – Classes weekly once.
- Perfecting Carnatic Music Level 1 E-Book
- Video Lessons Taught by Shri Chitravina N Ravikiran. These can be accessed through the Acharyanet Subscription.
(These are not included in the course and may be purchased separately.)
- At the end of this course, students will be confident with melody and rhythm and be able to render the varisais in at least 2 speeds in both swaram and akaram.
- They will also be trained on important ornamentation such as kampitam (oscillation) and sphuritam and gain fluency in rendering of double notes through the jantai varishais exercises.
- Students will be taught the concept and names of the 16-note system unique to Carnatic music.
Courses include review sessions by the Director, Chitravina N Ravikiran.
Appropriate assignments will be given to enable the development of the student’s musical intuition.
Please send us a message through the ‘Need Help’ chat window on this page if you have any enquiries. We will reach out to you.
Enrollment & Payments Made Simple to help you Start Learning Right Away!
Pricing is by region.
Registration & Fees: Secure Online Credit Card (no information will be stored by Acharyanet). We use STRIPE and Razorpay for secure processing of payments.
Enrolment is based on self-assessment of your needs, levels and capabilities. If at any time, faculty or you deem that you require extra help/inputs, Acharyanet can arrange for extra classes at appropriate costs.
Enrollment is also open to students who face challenges due to time zones or time constraints and wish to gain access to the recorded sessions of the course instead of the live sessions. Students may record the sessions at their end.
Confirmation: Upon enrollment, you will receive an email and phone call from us to help orient you for the classes.
The classes will include the following:
Platform: Zoom/Skype or equivalent video conference.
Schedule: The course coordinator will help students get started with schedules, learning materials and faculty assignments.
Duration: Each session will be anywhere from 35 – 50 minutes based on the content to be covered.
Classes will be conducted in a group or individual setting based on enrollments and levels.
Course timings may be changed based on travel schedules of faculty but adequate notice will be given to everyone.
Students are welcome to record their classes but strictly prohibited from sharing it with anyone else.